Mathematics GCSE Pathways 1 & 2
The mathematics course is intended to provide opportunities for our pupils to:-
- consolidate basic skills and meet appropriately challenging work;
- apply mathematical knowledge and understanding to solve problems;
- think and communicate mathematically, precisely, logically and creatively;
- appreciate the place and use of mathematics in society and apply mathematical concepts to situations arising in their own lives;
- work co-operatively, independently, practically and investigatively.
The course leads to the G.C.S.E. examination in mathematics in which each pupil will be examined at a level appropriate to their ability. Pupils can therefore show positively what skills have been acquired during the course.
There are two possible levels of entry which have the target grades shown below:-
Grades C D E F G
Grades A* A B C D
Most pupils are given the opportunity to take GCSE Mathematics in the November of Year 11 as well as the Summer of Year 11.
The course content aims to ensure that all pupils experience mathematics as a meaningful, stimulating and worthwhile activity.
Pupils will experience practical mathematics applied to their own lives and the lives of other people.
Please note: the level of Tier is not affected by Pathway.
By following the Maths GCSE students will develop enterprise skills such as:
- Problem solving
- Financial capability
- A 'can do' attitude